The Monmouth County Clerk has been responsible for maintaining a record of real property ownership and transfers in Monmouth County since 1675. The Monmouth County Clerk’s Office stands ready to assist with recordation of real property ownership and transfer, and in retrieval of information from such recorded documents, in accordance with New Jersey law. With our new state-of-the-art computer system, all recorded information is available immediately, with the image available within 24-36 hours.
Our Record Room at the Office of the County Clerk, Market Yard, 33 Mechanic Street, Freehold, NJ 07728 is open to the public where all documents are available for inspection by the public. Office hours for inspection are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays. However, the recording office is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Note: This is for information purposes only. It is always best to contact your legal representative.
- Printed or typed name and signature of who prepared the deed
- Date the deed was prepared and acknowledged
- Grantor’s (seller) name and address
- Grantee’s (buyer) name and address
- Consideration – the sale price
- Description of the property- metes and bounds
- Appropriate GIT form(s) (Gross Income Tax)
- Appropriate Affidavit of Consideration (Buyer/Seller)
- Municipality in which the property lies must be in Monmouth County
- Tax lot and block number
- Acknowledgment of Grantor’s signature attested to by a notary public or other qualified person
- To whom the deed should be returned following recordation
- Proper recording fees (check or escrow account)
- Proper realty transfer fee (must be in check form). Any realty transfer fee $1,000 or over must be certified check, bank check, or attorney trust account check.
- Any check $10,000 or over, in the aggregate, must be a certified check or an official bank check.
Certification of a copy of a deed by the Monmouth County Clerk may be obtained on payment of $10.00 plus $1.50 per page of instrument. County employees will be happy to show you how to use the Russell Index System or the computer.
All documents recorded from October 1996 forward may be viewed and printed from our online Record Search System here. In addition, deeds recorded from January 1, 1976 through present can be viewed and printed.
Note: This site is not to be used, nor is it intended to be used, as a title searching tool.
If you have any additional questions please call (732) 431–7324, option #3 for recorded mortgages/deeds and option #4 for recording information, or email here.