General Information

Please note: All passport services are available by appointment only and face coverings must be worn when entering all County Offices. The passport applicant must be present and passport applications must be completed prior to your arrival. If you are late for your appointment, it may be rescheduled. Please click here for more information.

Although the issuance of passports is done by the federal passport agency, the County Clerk’s Passport Offices are available to assist in the preparation of the application which, in turn, is forwarded to the State Department.

You can visit either of our two permanent Monmouth County Clerk’s Passport Offices: The Freehold County Clerk’s Office or the Neptune County Connection Office. For information on these two locations, please click herePlease note that the Neptune County Connection has reduced hours until further notice.

It is recommended that the Passport Office be contacted prior to your appearance in the office to confirm you have the proper documentation. The Freehold Passport Office number is 732-431-7324 and the Neptune County Connection Passport Office number is 732-303-2828.

Passport Processing Time

Routine Service: 10-12 weeks

Expedited Service: 4-6 weeks

For more information about processing time, and emergency situation exceptions, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s website.

Passport Application Process

To obtain a U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, each applicant needs:

  • Proof of American Citizenship
  • Proof of Identification
  • Social Security Number
  • Recent color photograph (Our offices provide passport photo service)
  • Payment of fees

Please note that a U.S. Passport Card is only valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean – Not for travel by air to these destinations.

1. Complete the passport application

View/Download the Passport Application here

The form can also be obtained and filled out in our passport offices.

Your departure date, if known, and your Social Security number must be included on the application. It is important that you fill out all of the required information on the application. Do not sign the application until you are instructed to do so in the presence of the Passport Agent who is processing it.

2. Provide proof of American citizenship
You must submit one (1) of the following for proof of U.S. Citizenship:

Original documents are required, photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or card (For children age 15 and under, please see the requirements below)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:*
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists parents’ full names
    • Has the raised, embossed or multi-colored seal of the issuing authority
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Certificate of Citizenship

* Please note: As a result of a joint U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Justice investigation, birth certificates issued by the Hudson County Office of Vital Statistics and/or Jersey City Department of Health cannot be accepted for passport applications. A N.J. State issued Birth Certificate is required. For a state issued replacement of a Hudson County or Jersey City issued birth certificate, please on the following link: N.J. State Vital Statistics

* Also, as of October 30, 2010, the Department of State will only accept Puerto Rican birth certificates issued on or after July 1, 2010.

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please click here for N.J.’s Citizenship Evidence.

Requirements for children age 15 and under:

  • Birth certificate or adoption papers
    • Must be submitted with the child’s application, as evidence of the child’s relationship to the parents/guardian
  • Both parents need to be present or:
    • Submit a U.S. Department of State consent form DS-3053, click here, as evidence of sole authority to apply
    • Submit a death certificate if a parent is deceased
    • For more information, please contact our passport office directly, click here for contact information
  • Both parents must provide identification (See Step #3 for ID information)
3. Present identification

COVID-19 Update: If your license has expired and has not been able to be renewed due to the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) closure, please bring a secondary form of identification.

You must present one (1) of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • In-state, fully-valid driver’s license
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. Military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)

Please note: If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional secondary ID. (See Step #4 for secondary ID information)

4. Provide approved secondary forms of identification
Aside from your proof of citizenship, you must also be able to identify yourself and authenticate your signature.

Some accepted forms of secondary identification include:

  • Social Security card
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver’s license
  • Membership card in a local social organization or club
5. Provide passport photographs
You must provide one (1) photograph with your passport application. Both the Monmouth County Clerk’s Office and Monmouth County Connection provide passport photo service for a $10 fee.

Requirements for a Good Passport Photo

COVID-19 Update: If your child needs a photo taken at the Neptune Monmouth County Connection and is unable to sit up on their own, please bring a white towel or blanket to use as a background.

  • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
  • Size of photo
  • Recent, taken in the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Background must be plain white or off-white
  • Head must be directly facing the camera with your full face in view
  • Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
  • In color
  • Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
  • No hats or head coverings, unless you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot cast shadows on your face.
  • No headphones or wireless hands-free devices
  • No eyeglasses worn

As of November 1, 2016, eyeglasses may not be worn in photos unless in rare circumstances of medical necessity. In these rare circumstances, applicants should obtain a signed statement from a medical professional or health practitioner (such as a surgeon or ophthalmologist).

To see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos, please visit the U.S. Passports & Travel Photo Examples page.

6. Pay the processing fees

Please note: The application fee and the execution fee are paid separately. The federal processing fee (application fee) must be paid via check or money order. The County processing fee (execution fee) can be made by cash or credit card. American Express is not accepted.

Adult Passport Fees (Age 16 Years and Older):

Applying For Adult (Age 16+) Application Fee Acceptance Fee  (Execution Fee) Total
First-time Adult Passport Book $110 $35 = $145
First-time Adult Passport Card $30 $35 = $65
First-time Adult Passport Book & Card $140 $35 = $175
Adult Passport Card $30 Not Required = $30


Adult Passport Renewal Fees (Age 16 Years and Older):

Renewing Adult (Age 16+) Application Fee Acceptance Fee  (Execution Fee) Total
Adult Passport Book Renewal $110 Not Required = $110
Adult Passport Card Renewal $30 Not Required = $30
Adult Passport Book & Card Renewal $140 Not Required = $140


Minor Passport Fees:

Applying For Minor (Under Age 16) Application Fee Acceptance Fee  (Execution Fee) Total
Minor Passport Book $80 $35 = $115
Minor Passport Card $15 $35 = $50
Minor Passport Book & Card $95 $35 = $130


Other Fees:

Info Fee Charge
Expedite Fee Paid per application, in addition to required fees. Provides faster processing than routine service. $60
Overnight Delivery Paid per application for overnight delivery of an issued passport book from the Department of State to the customer. Only applies to mailing addresses within the United States. Not valid for passport cards. $17.56

For fees of other applications or services, please visit the U.S. Passports & Travel Passport Fees and Calculator page.

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents are needed to get my passport?
Each applicant must prove his citizenship when applying for a passport using: a certified birth certificate with both parents’ names and a raised seal, U.S. passport, or certificate of naturalization. Children age 15 and under must always have their birth certificates when applying. Applicants must also show identification if over the age of 18 (minors use parents’ or guardians’ identification).

Do the Monmouth County Connection and Mobile County Connection take passport photos?
Yes. Both the Monmouth County Connection and Mobile County Connection have on-site photo processing and are happy to take your passport picture.

How long is my passport valid?
If the applicant is 16 years of age or older when applying for a U.S. passport, the passport will be valid for 10 years. If the applicant is under the age of 16, the U.S. passport will be valid for 5 years.

How do I obtain a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate with both parents’ names?
Please contact the Vital Statistics office in the city in which the applicant was born.

Can I send a copy of a Birth Certificate?
No. The birth certificate must be an original, certified document with a raised seal and include both parents’ names.

Can I pay for my passport application with cash?
No. At the Freehold Passport Office and Monmouth County Connection, your passport application must be processed using a check or money order.

Will my old passport and documents be returned?
Yes. Your old passport and any documents sent to prove citizenship (birth certificate, passport, or naturalization papers) will be returned to you in a separate envelope 5 to 7 days after you receive your new passport.

Does my child need to be present when applying for a passport?
Yes. Regardless of age, anyone who is applying for a passport must be present.

Is it true that both parents/legal guardians must be present when a minor (under 16) is applying for a passport?
U.S. passport applicants under the age of 16 are required to have consent from both parents/legal guardians. If both parents/guardians are unable to be present, a consent form (DS-3053) will be needed for the applicant. Please contact the office or the U.S. Department of State for more information.

Rev. 1/22/21