RECORD GROUP: Special Collections
RECORD SERIES #: 8700
SERIES: HABS: Red Bank Railroad Station Report
VOLUME: One Volume in two folders
This report’s complete title is Historic American Buildings Survey: New York & Long Branch Railroad Red Bank Station (New Jersey Transit Red Bank Station), NJ-HABS No. xxxx. The documentation was completed in December 2007 by Lynn Drobbin, Architectural Historian, Lynn Drobbin & Associates, Pelham, New York, in connection with the Red Bank Station Accessibility Improvements Project that constructed high level platforms in compliance with the Americans for Disabilities Act (ADA) and also in response to other changes to the structure. The report was transferred to the Monmouth County Archives in April 2008 by Dara Callender, Supervising Compliance Specialist, NJ Transit (Accession 2008-04).
The report consists of two principal sections: 1) report with bibliography, map, reprints of articles, fold-out building plan, index to photographs and illustrations, and foldout site map showing locations of photographs; and 2) twenty-six illustrations, consisting of twenty photographs taken by John M. Donnelly in December 2002; photocopies of a postcard; two historic photographs; and three historic maps.
The text of the report provides a detailed description of the station site; the exterior of the Red Bank Station, including the Plaza Façade (facing East), and the Trackside (West) Elevation; the interior, including the Basement, First Floor, Ticket Office Interior, and Second Floor; the Platforms, inbound and outbound; and the Gatekeeper’s House.
Following the description, the report describes the History and Significance of the Red Bank Station, which is “an excellent example of a Carpenter Gothic style railroad station. The station was built in 1875 by the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) which, under a lease agreement, operated the NY&LB from the date the line was placed into operation.” Included in this section is a history of Red Bank, explaining the significance of railroads to its development and a number of noteworthy events that occurred at the station, including the visits of Theodore Roosevelt in 1912, and King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of England in 1939. The report also details changes that were made to the station and the Gatekeeper’s House over time.
The next section of the report provides a history of the New York and Long Branch Railroad, which initially provided service to Red Bank. Effective January 2, 1888, joint operation began by the Pennsylvania Railroad and Central Railroad of New Jersey, an arrangement which lasted almost a century. “By the early 1970s, the New Jersey Department of Transportation had assumed responsibility for the operation of New Jersey’s commuter lines and the NY&LB became known as the North Jersey Coast Line (NJCL).” Along with several others on the old NY&LB line, the Red Bank Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Use of the report is unrestricted. The report is stored in the Archives’ climate controlled vault to provide optimal environmental conditions for the photographs.
April 16, 2008
\HABS Red Bank Station