Health Care Facilities: Allenwood Hospital, 1920-1970s

RECORD GROUP: Other County Records
RECORD SERIES #: 6100
SERIES: Health Care Facilities: Allenwood Hospital
DATES: 1920-1970s
VOLUME: 4 boxes

HISTORY

In the early twentieth century, tuberculosis (TB) was a serious problem. Out of a growing concern for public health, the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders, in 1916, deputized a volunteer organization called the Monmouth County Organization for Social Services. Its job, with the aid of the Public Health Department, was to locate people who had contracted TB.  Once located, these patients were examined by local physicians. They would then become county charges who were placed in hospitals throughout the state that dealt with this disease.

The Freeholders became aware that there was a need for a county sanitarium so that, while convalescing, the afflicted would not be far from family and friends. Attention given to the problem by the Freeholders, state tuberculosis clinics, the Public Health Nursing Service, and the MCOSS, as well as by local communities, resulted in the establishment of the Allenwood Sanitarium, later known as Allenwood Hospital, and today as the Geraldine Thompson Medical Home.

Federal policies concerning construction during World War I postponed completion of the tuberculosis hospital, which opened on January 10, 1921. What was once a small one-story building, holding a mere twenty-eight patients, evolved into a model institution where more than seventy patients could be cared for in a facility recognized for its high standards and its highly qualified staff of health care professionals. A chronology of the Allenwood Hospital can be found at the end of this finding aid.

Geraldine L. Thompson

Called “The First Lady of New Jersey” by New Jersey Governor Alfred E. Driscoll, and granted awards and certificates from universities, state, county and local agencies, and from Congress, the namesake of the Geraldine L. Thompson Medical Home is a prominent figure in the history of New Jersey health care.

Thompson was born Geraldine Livingston Morgan on March 22, 1872. She was privately educated in France at the Convent of the Sacre Coeur. She married sportsman and social leader Lewis Steenrod Thompson in 1896. In 1912, she founded the Monmouth County Organization for Social Service. This organization was chiefly responsible for the creation of the county tuberculosis center that now bears her name. Geraldine Thompson was the only woman in New Jersey given an honorary masters degree in Philanthropy from Rutgers.

A childhood playmate of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and a close friend of Eleanor Roosevelt, Geraldine Thompson was a guest at the White House during both the Roosevelt administration as well as Herbert Hoover’s. Brookdale Community College is built on land that she willed to the County. She died on September 9, 1967.

On her 88th birthday Governor Meyner said, “I speak for all the informed people of New Jersey in saying that this state owes a special debt to you for a lifetime of vigorous, fruitful and generous service on behalf of those who are unequipped to speak for themselves.” Quoted in “Mrs. Lewis W. Thompson. Former Member of the Board of Control Lauded,” The Psychogram, 44:10 (April 1960), 5.

SCOPE AND CONTENT

These records pertain primarily to Allenwood Hospital, known since 1968 as the Geraldine Thompson Medical Home. The Allenwood Hospital records series consists of minutes, correspondence, publications, and photographs. There are twenty-nine years of minutes of board meetings, over fifty years of correspondence and printed materials pertaining to budget, construction, and other subjects. There are also publications from Allenwood and other hospitals. Lastly, there are numerous photographs, both black-and-white and color, in different sizes. Except for large prints, the photographs are in folders.

Box 1 and 2. Minutes and Correspondence

Primarily contains minutes of the board meetings (1921-1952) and correspondence (1923-1970’s), including folders of correspondence of Mrs. Geraldine Thompson and Miss Elizabeth Hynes, R.N., Superintendent of Allenwood Hospital.

Box 3. Subject Files

Contains annual reports (1921-1931) and other printed materials including budgets, various maintenance and construction plans, as well historical information about Allenwood Hospital. There are also various publications from other hospitals and a history of Monmouth County from 1683 to 1929.

Box 4. Photographs

Contains photographs of the hospital, staff, patients, and grounds. The photos are in both color and black-and-white and range in size from 3×5 to 11×14 inches, although most of the photos are 8×10. Many are loose; some are in booklets. Primarily, the photographs depict the interior and exterior of the hospital. The interior photographs are of offices, patients, and staff.

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS
This collection is open to researchers with the exception of the Commitment records.  See RELATED INFORMATION.

USE
Except for the Commitment records, this collection is available to researchers in its original format at the Monmouth County Archives.

REPOSITORY
Monmouth County Archives
125 Symmes Drive
Manalapan, NJ 07726
Phone: 732-308-3771

ACQUISITION INFORMATION

Most of the records were transferred to the Monmouth County Archives in October 2001 by Donna Clayton Gaj, Secretarial Assistant, under the direction of Diana Czerepuszko, Administrator, Monmouth County Care Centers, Geraldine L. Thompson Division, Allenwood (Accession 2001-08). A small amount of administrative correspondence, transferred to the archives in 1991 by Dorothea K. Holmes, Retired Coordinator, Monmouth County Tuberculosis Control Program, was merged with the correspondence in the 2001 accession.

RELATED INFORMATION

The Monmouth County Archives also holds Allenwood Hospital Commitment records, 1931-1960, which are restricted. The Commitment series contains applications from residents for care in the Allenwood Tuberculosis Sanatorium, as it was also known. These applications were submitted to the Common Pleas Court and later the County Court. The applications came to be in the Archives because they were a record of the County Clerk due to that official being the Clerk of the Courts at the time. In addition to this series, there are newspaper clippings about the Geraldine L. Thompson Medical Home (formerly Allenwood Hospital), 1971-1986, in the Red Bank Register collection, filed under Nursing Homes.  Additional records related to Geraldine Thompson are in the MCOSS and Monmouth County Welfare Board record series.

CONTAINER LIST
 

Box

 

Folder

 

Title

 

Dates

 

1

 

1-30

 

Minutes of Board Meetings

 

1921-1952

 

 

31

 

General Correspondence

 

1920

 

 

32-45

 

Correspondence

 

1923-1935

 

 

46

 

: Mrs. Geraldine (Lewis S.) Thompson

 

1935

 

 

47

 

: Miss Elizabeth Hynes

 

1936

 

 

48

Correspondence  

1936

 

 

49

 

: Mrs. Thompson

 

1937

 

2

 

 50-54

 

1937-1950’s

 

 

55-59

 

1965-1970’s

 

 

60

 

undated

 

 

 

Subject Files

 

 

 

61

 

Statistics, pamphlets, budgets, misc.

 

1960’s

 

3

 

 

 

 

62

 

Chapel plans

 

undated

 

 

63

 

History, reports, background information

 

undated

 

 

64

 

Maintenance, budgets, construction, misc.

 

undated

 

 

 

Publications

 

 

 

65

 

A Sketch of Monmouth County 1683-1929

 

1929

 

 

66

 

Training manuals : Allenwood Hospital. Article Psychology of the Sick. Copy of patient admission form

 

1935

 

 

 

Allenwood Hospital Booklets

 

 

 

67

 

History of Allenwood Hospital

 

undated

 

 

68

 

Information for patients

 

1956

 

 

69-74

 

Annual Reports

 

1921-1931

 

 

 

Other Hospital Publications

 

 

 

75

 

American Hospital Association. Pamphlet: Caring for the Chronically Ill.

 

1947, 1964

 

 

76

 

Bonnie Burn Sanatorium

 

1949-1951

 

 

77

 

City of Chicago TB Sanitarium

 

1941-1944

 

 

78

 

Iowa University

 

1956

 

 

79

 

Roosevelt Hospital

 

1946-47, 1953

 

 

80

 

John E. Runnells Hospital

 

1956, 1966

 

 

81

 

Valley View Sanatorium

 

1946

 

 

82

 

Manual of Hospital Standardization

 

ca. 1941

 

 

 

Allenwood Hospital- Photographs in Folders

(Box 4 located in vault)

 

4

 

83

 

P1 (photocopy) exterior grounds. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1921

 

 

P2 recreation area. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1922

 

 

 

P3 exterior grounds. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1922

 

 

 

P4 patient in room. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1922

 

 

 

P5 patio area. Occupied. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1923

 

 

 

P6 outdoor meeting. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1927

 

 

 

P7 actual of P1. B&W.   5 x 7

 

1921

 

 

 

P8 exterior grounds. Winter. B&W.   3 x 5

 

1922

 

 

84

 

P9 hospital building. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P10 exterior ground; structures. B&W.   3 x 5

 

undated

 

 

 

P11 patio; occupied. B&W. 5 x 7

 

undated

 

 

 

P12 building. B&W. 5 x 7

 

undated

 

 

 

P13 exterior grounds. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P14 exterior toward main building. B&W. 5 x 7

 

undated

 

 

 

P15 young girl doing crafts. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P16 patient doing crafts. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P17 patient in recreation room. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P18 exterior with senior staff. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P19 patient doing crafts. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

 

P20 patient doing crafts. B&W. 8 x 10

 

undated

 

 

85

 

P21 patient room (occupied). B&W. 8 x 10

 

1948

 

 

 

P22 exterior hospital building. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1948

 

 

 

P23-30 Small photo packet. B&W. 3×5. Exam rooms. See folder 91.

1954

 

 

86

 

P31 dining area. B&W. 8 x 10. P32. Exam room. B&W. 5 x 7

 

1954

 

 

87

 

P33 (photocopy), many photos on one sheet. Staff.

 

1955

 

 

88

 

P33a Allenwood Sanitarium. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P34 Miss Reilly. B&W.   8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P35 Mr. John Fritz. 2 copies. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P36 Mr. Robert Smith, Ms. Carol Swikart-Occupational Therapist. 2 copies. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P37 Mr. Clifford Johnson.   B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P38 Dr. George McDonnell- Medical Director, Mrs. Edith Anderson. 2 copies. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P39 Mrs. Virginia Birdsall. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P40 Mr. Ivan Kozia. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P41 patient sewing. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P42 Ms. Alma Ham. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P43 Mr. Edgar Wymbs, Mrs. Nancy Savino, Mr. John Fritz. Nativity scene. 2 copies. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P44 Mr. Ivan Kozin. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P45 Mr. Edgar Wymbs. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P46 Mrs. Haruko (Nancy) Savino. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P47 Mr. John Caroli. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P48 Mrs. Rosemary Erhardt-Superintendent. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P49 Nurse. Unnamed. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1956

 

 

 

P50 Ms. Carol Swikart-Occupational Therapist. B&W. 8 x 10. Mrs. Jean Britton.

 

1956

 

 

89

 

P51 interior of woodshop. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P52 interior, woodshop w/ patients. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P53 interior of sewing area. Patients. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P54 Crafts area, with patients. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P55 exterior, patients painting doghouse. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P56 crafts area. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P57 sewing area. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P58 secretary patient typing. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

P59 interior crafts area. B&W. 8 x 10

 

1958

 

 

 

PhotosLoose

 

 

 

 

P60 aerial shot of prosecutor’s office. Color. 11 x 14

 

1995

 

 

 

P61 exterior of hospital. B&W. 11 x 14

 

Undated

 

 

 

P62 aerial view of hospital. B&W. 11 x 14.

 

Undated

 

 

 

P63 aerial view of hospital. B&W. 11 x 14.

 

Undated

90

 

Photos-Separate packet. Color, 3 x 5.

P64 exterior of hospital

Undated

P65 interior eating area           Undated
P66 interior, office

Undated

P67 exterior, hospital building

Undated

P68 interior, file room, office

Undated

 

 

 

P69 interior, office

 

Undated

 

 

 

P70 interior, office, shelves

 

Undated

 

 

 

P71 receptionist’s office

 

Undated

 

 

 

P72 treatment room

 

Undated

 

 

 

P73 treatment area, laboratory

 

Undated

 

 

 

P74 office, break room

 

Undated

 

 

 

P75 patients room

 

Undated

91

Bound photo packet, black-and-white, 3 x 5

1954

Allenwood Hospital Chronology
DATE EVENT
1911 First thoughts of Sanitarium begin in 1911.
1912 Study of tuberculosis by Monmouth County organization for Social Service, November 1912.
1921 Sanitarium opened (capacity 28 patients) January 10, 1921. Total number of patients admitted:104.
1922 Total # of patients admitted for year: 79. Two more pavilions added. A second artesian well, two hydrants and hose lines are added.
1922-1923 Chapel built, possibly initiated by patients. Material and labor donated and provided. Building started in the fall of 1922, completed 1923. Only purchase necessary was the stained glass windows.
1923 Free weekly clinics begun throughout the country; second floor reconstructed for female patients who were convalescing; ten feet added to women’s ward for an assembly hall; staff building opened.
1924 Pagoda spaces enclosed, screened, and painted allowing for six new beds.
1924-1925 Nurses home was built between 1924-1925. Acquired x-ray equipment Sleeping porch added to nurses home. Total # of patients admitted for year: 101.
1926 New wing including ten rooms, laboratory and drug rooms, diet kitchen, enlarged patient’s dining room and sewing room; complete x-ray equipment added as well as a runway and trestle to facilitate the unloading of coal for the powerhouse. Total # of patients admitted for year: 90.
1927-1928 Use of Streptomycin introduced in 1927-1928. Mutual partnership with Ocean County; another small chapel was completed and dedicated on October 7, 1928; a clinic for former hospital cases was started in May of 1928. Total # of patients admitted for 1927:133; for 1928:113.
1929 Construction included two new pavilions, two cubicles, an addition to the main building, a nurse home and a building for men bringing the capacity to 90 beds. Total # of patients admitted for year: 139.
1930 Capacity of Sanitarium: 73 patients. Two small cottages were built consisting of one room each.
1931 X-Ray laboratory was built.
1932 Dr. Fairbanks, Medical Director, appointed.
1940-1941 Doctor’s cottage, now administrator’s home, built between 1940-1941.
1955 Capacity of Sanitarium: 110 patients.
1955-1956 Feeney cottage built. Daniels and Matthews cottages were built between 1955 and 1956 by PWA.
1957 Sanitarium turned into a nursing home.
1957 Thompson employee building was built.
1957-58-59 Patios between buildings enclosed.
1963 The Annex opened to geriatrics.
1968 Name changed to Home.
1968 Skilled geriatric care added.
1968 Upstairs added.
1968 Name changed to Geraldine L. Thompson Medical Home in August.
1969 C Wing added.
1970 Capacity of Hospital now 73 patients.
1971 Chapel re-opened.
1982 Combined with shelter for juveniles in need of supervision.
1988 Construction begun on a new building.

WPDOCS\FINDING AIDS\OTHER COUNTY RECORDS\Allenwood Hospital Finding Aid 6100.doc