RECORD GROUP: Municipalities
RECORD SERIES #: 8600.18
VOLUME: 216 volumes
The following historical narrative about Wall is from an essay by Fred Carl, Wall Township Historian, prepared for the book, Town by Town: Impressions of Monmouth County (Freehold: Office of the Monmouth County Clerk, 2002):
Wall Township, named in honor of former United States Senator, Garret Dorset Wall, who passed away in November of 1850, began as a municipality on March 11, 1851. In the more than 150 years since, Wall Township has hosted world famous inventors and has been on the cutting edge of communications developments and research. The Township was created out of Howell Township, which was a part of the original 1693 Shrewsbury Township. Wall still has its original westerly boundaries, yet once stretched to the Atlantic Ocean. The towns of Brielle, Manasquan, Sea Girt, Spring Lake Heights, South Belmar, and Belmar were all once part of Wall.
The most famous area of Wall is the Village of Allaire. This restored village is now the focal point of a 1,200 acre State Park and home of the Pine Creek Railroad. Local tales say an iron forge operated there during the Revolutionary War. The ironworks supported a thriving 19th century industrial village complete with bakery, blacksmith, church, furnace, general store, school, and residences. At one time as many as 70 buildings were on the site. After the late 1840’s, changes in iron smelting technology caused the decline of the village and eventually it was deserted.
A charming reminder of the character of old Wall is the Allgor-Barkalow Homestead on New Bedford Road. The Old Wall Historical Society, with its 1840’s style general store, lovingly maintains the house museum. The group has relocated the former Blansingburg School next to the homestead for restoration.
Perhaps the most significant, but less known historic site in Monmouth County, is Camp Evans. As a 1914 Marconi Station, Camp Evans was a key link in the first worldwide commercial wireless network, Marconi’s “wireless girdle around the earth.” In 1941, the site was sold to the Signal Corps, and Camp Evans emerged as one of the nation’s premier wartime radar production research and development facilities during World War II. Camp Evans radar officers and technicians worked with Bell Labs and British, Harvard, MIT, and Navy radar experts, sharing information to improve allied radar equipment quality and performance. In many instances, Camp Evans radar teams set specifications, directed, contracted, and coordinated wartime radar research and production with other U.S. wartime radar laboratories. The radar developed and produced at Camp Evans had an enormous impact on our country’s ability to wage war successfully. Equipment developed, prototyped, tested, battle hardened, documented, and upgraded at Camp Evans saw use in all World War II theaters of war and protected American military assets worldwide. In some cases, equipment went directly into battle from Camp Evans to meet critical needs.
The most famous event to occur at Camp Evans was Project Diana. This 1946 event marked the electronic dawn of the Space Age. Camp Evans’ engineers demonstrated and proved that the ionosphere could be pierced and that communication was possible between earth and the universe beyond, opening the possibility of space exploration. The event had worldwide social and scientific impact. Later, at the Diana Site, upgraded radar equipment would be used to track the first satellite, Sputnik, and all subsequent U.S. and Soviet spacecraft and satellite launches.
After World War II, Camp Evans personnel conducted research on site and were involved in worldwide projects to support military communications and electronic warfare preparedness. Equipment, components, basic research and engineering projects provided components for communications technology, satellite technology, space exploration, weather analysis, and nucleonics. Equipment designed, prototyped, and tested at Camp Evans played a role in every U.S. conflict, including the Cold War. Camp Evans was known as the “Army’s house of magic.”
An infamous and politically inspired national issue was the campaign, accusations and the attempts by Senator Joseph McCarthy to show that Camp Evans was a “house of spies” and that some camp personnel had Communist connections. The pivotal event was a face-off with army security at Camp Evans when Senator McCarthy visited Wall with a group and demanded entry into top-secret areas without proper security clearance.
During the last 85 years, as communications technology went from spark to alternator to vacuum tubes, printed circuits, transistors, satellites, fiber optics, integrated circuits, and the Internet, this historic Wall Township location played a part in all. Today, the Monmouth County Freeholders and Wall Township have enabled the creation of a science history center at this historic and beautiful Shark River site to preserve the past and inspire children toward technology-based careers.
The records consist of 216 volumes in four record series, summarized as follows:
• Governing Body Minutes, 1918-1987, 46 volumes
• Resolutions, 1927-1932, 1936-1988, 35 volumes
• Ordinances, 1922-1987, 7 volumes
• Title Searches, 1939-1956, 1960-1976, 128 volumes
Note that there are two gaps in the sequences: Resolutions lacks 1933-1935 and Title Search lacks part of August 1956 to part of October 1960.
Wall Township Shelf List
Box 1. Governing Body Minutes, 1918-1946
Box 2. Governing Body Minutes, 1947-1954
Box 3. Governing Body Minutes, 1955-1960
Box 4. Governing Body Minutes, 1961-1967
Box 5. Governing Body Minutes, 1968-1974
Box 6. Governing Body Minutes, 1975-1981, Apr.
Box 7. Governing Body Minutes, 1981, May-1987
Box 8. Resolutions, 1927-1932, 1936-1958
Box 9. Resolutions, 1959-1976
Box 10. Resolutions, 1977-1985, Jan.
Box 11. Resolutions, 1985, Feb.-1988
Box 12. Ordinances, 1922-1987
Box 13. Title Search, 1939, Sept. 1-1948, Sept. 9
Box 14. Title Search, 1948, Sept. 29-1953, May 12
Box 15. Title Search, 1953, May 12-1956, Aug. 24
Box 16. Title Search, 1960, Oct. 5-1964, Aug. 28
Box 17. Title Search, 1964, Aug. 28-1967, June 21
Box 18. Title Search, 1967, June 21-1970, July 17
Box 19. Title Search, 1970, July 20-1973, Mar. 19
Box 20. Title Search, 1973, Nov. 12-1976, July 26