Atlantic Highlands

RECORD GROUP: Municipalities
RECORD SERIES #: 8600.04
SERIES: Atlantic Highlands
DATES: 1887-1923, 1938-1989
VOLUME: 57 volumes

Atlantic Highlands image

ABSTRACT
Historical records from Atlantic Highlands were placed on deposit in the Monmouth County Archives and Records Center in April 2008, pursuant to a municipal resolution and a depository agreement that provide that Atlantic Highlands retains ownership of the records and that the Monmouth County Archives can provide access to them.
HISTORY
The following historical narrative about Atlantic Highlands was prepared by Borough Historian Robert A. Schoeffling, for the book, Town by Town: Impressions of Monmouth County (Freehold: Office of the Monmouth County Clerk, 2002):

The Borough of Atlantic Highlands, once known as Portland Pointe, was originally part of Middletown Township. During the late 1800’s, the pleasant climate together with the rolling hills bordering on the Raritan Bay appealed to a number of investors.

In 1879, a surveyor was engaged to lay out roads and lots for a permanent community. The Atlantic Highlands Association was formed by prominent members of the Methodist Church. This organization developed the community of Atlantic Highlands.

Individuals and groups came from New York City and the surrounding vicinity to camp along the water in tent colonies. An outdoor amphitheater was created with a large seating capacity and outstanding acoustics. An indoor auditorium was built which was utilized for entertaining visitors at the camp meetings. In 1887, Atlantic Highlands was incorporated as a Borough, containing 1.2 square miles of prime real estate bordering on the Raritan Bay.

The major construction occurred from the 1880’s through 1900. It included hotels, cottages, rooming houses and private homes. A substantial pier was built extending well into the bay to accommodate steamboats from New York City. The next twenty years saw rapid development. A strong and effective fire department was organized, which is today a well-respected organization within the Borough.

A number of churches saw their beginning in the 1880’s: the Central Baptist, First Presbyterian, Saint Agnes Roman Catholic, First Methodist, and Saint Paul’s Baptist Church.

Steamer service was a major source of transportation during the formation of the Borough, through the 1940’s.  The Central Railroad of New Jersey built a major pier at the end of First Avenue. Several trains at a time could continue to the end of the pier to offload steamboat passengers. From the teens through the forties, the steamers ‘Sandy Hook” and the “Monmouth” navigated the waters bringing businessmen and vacationers to Atlantic Highlands.

In the 1890’s, rail service came to Atlantic Highlands. This opened up Highlands and points south to vacationers. The 1920’s saw twenty-six passenger trains daily passing through the Borough.

Some of the names that played a major part in the development of Atlantic Highlands were: Thomas Henry Leonard (businessman developer, first mayor), B.G. Martin (builder), Nimrod Woodward (master mason, builder of the Stone Bridge), George F. Laurie (businessman), and Rev. James E. Lake (pastor of Atlantic Highlands First Methodist Church, promoter of Atlantic Highlands).

Many famous people lived in Atlantic Highlands or were associated with the Borough. Simon Lake, considered by some to be the father of the submarine, tested his craft the “Argonaut, Jr.” in Atlantic Highlands. The New York Herald reported the testing in the January 8, 1895 issue. In the 1890’s, Charles Payne Sears, a prominent watercolor artist, resided in the Borough. His works were exhibited in the national portrait gallery in Washington D.C. Corwin Knapp Linson, an artist and illustrator also resided in the borough from the twenties through the fifties. The scene at the baptismal within the Central Baptist Church is a Linson rendering.  And, anyone who bought the Sunday Daily News in the Forties and Fifties recalls a full page of cartons in the comic section created for many years by resident artist, Reamer Keller.

The creation of our municipal harbor took place from 1938 through 1940. This harbor was built with municipal, state, and federal funds; the Atlantic Highlands’ Lions Club supplied the vision and determination. Today the municipal harbor is the largest on the East Coast, home to 715 craft including high-speed ferry service to New York City. In 1962, the existing Central Railroad of New Jersey pier was destroyed by fire. In 1992 high-speed ferry service was introduced into our Borough. Today, eleven runs a day leave Atlantic Highlands for the ‘city.’

It is interesting to note the names that appear in the directories of the 1890’s. These same names populate the Borough and run businesses in the community today. The bungalows on the East Side of the Borough, which in the twenties were summer bungalows, are now year-round homes. The Victorian homes remain a reminder of our glorious past. The waterfront is alive with activity, as it was in the 1890’s, welcoming the recreational boater.

Today, Portland Pointe, a five-story senior citizen building, provides housing for the elderly. The business community, just as at the turn of the century, provides for our town and the visitor as well. An array of great restaurants, unique shops, theaters (from a great 5-screen movie house to live theater) provides the residents and the visitor with a reason to spend time in our unique community. A little bit of Victorian American tucked away at the Jersey Shore; Atlantic Highlands is truly the jewel of the Bayshore.

Scope and Content
This record group contains township books of Minutes, Ordinances, Board of Health, Planning Board, and other municipal committee records.
ACCESS RESTRICTIONS
These records are open to the public without restriction.
USE
Researchers may view these records in the Archives.
REPOSITORY
Monmouth County Archives
125 Symmes Drive
Manalapan NJ 07726
(732) 308-3771
ACQUISITION INFORMATION
Atlantic Township deposited 10 boxes of township records with County Archives on April 16, 2008, and another 10 boxes deposited on July 31, 2009. The township retains ownership of the records.
PROCESSING INFORMATION
This finding aid was created by Gary D. Saretzky on April 17, 2008; revised by George Joynson on October 16, 2015, and on March 26, 2019.
Container List
Box 1 Minutes, 1887-1905 (6 volumes)
Box 2 Minutes, 1905-1923 (2 volumes)
Box 3 Minutes, 1938-1946 (7 volumes)
Box 4 Minutes, 1947-1954 (6 volumes)
Box 5 Minutes, 1954-1961 (7 volumes)
Box 6 Minutes, 1962-1967 (6 volumes)
Box 7 Minutes, 1967-1973 (7 volumes)
Box 8 Minutes, 1974-1979 (6 volumes)
Box 9 Minutes, 1980-1984 (5 volumes)
Box 10 Minutes, 1985-1989 (5 volumes)
Box 11 Ordinance Book 1957-1979 (1304-11)
Box 11 Ordinance Book 1891-1956 (1304-11)
Box 12 Minutes/Ordinances 1980-1990 (1304-12)
Box 12 Minutes Book 1924-1933 (1304-12)
Box 12 Shade Tree Committee 1927-1961 (1304-12)
Box 13 Minute Book 1934-1938 (1304-13)
Box 13 Board of Health Minutes, 1911-1920 (1304-13)
Box 13 Board of Health Minutes, 1920-1960 (1304-13)
Box 13 Communicable Disease 1920-1946 (1304-13)
Box 14 Minute Books 1990-1994 (1304-14)
Box 15 Minute Books 1994-1996 (1304-15)
Box 16 Minute Books 1996-1998 (1304-16)
Box 17 Minute Books 1999-2002 (1304-17)
Box 18 Planning Bd. Minute Books 1950-1991 (1304-18)
Box 18 Citizens Advisory Comm. 1964-1964 (1304-18)
Box 19 Planning Bd. Minute Books 1992-2000 (1304-19)
Box 20 Planning Bd. Minute Books 2001-2006 (1304-20)