Wall Maps, 1851, 1860, 1872, & 1889

RECORD GROUP: Map Collection
RECORD SERIES #: 12300
SERIES: Wall Maps
DATES: 1851, 1860, 1872, 1889
VOLUME: six framed wall maps

Image - Lightfoot Map

Title from the 4×5′ Wall Map of Monmouth County, Jesse Lightfoot, 1851
ABSTRACT
  • Map of Monmouth County, 1851, Jesse Lightfoot
  • Map of Monmouth County, 1860, SN&FW Beers
  • Map of Philadelphia & Trenton, 1860, Lake & Beers
  • Eatontown, Ocean & Neptune Townships, 1889, Wolverton Atlas
  • North Spring Lake & Como, 1889, Wolverton Atlas
  • Topographical Map of Monmouth County, 1872, Atlas of New Jersey, FW Beers
SCOPE & CONTENT

Map of Monmouth County New Jersey
Jesse Lightfoot, 1851
This map is from original surveys by Jesse Lightfoot, surveyor, published by J. B. Shields, Middletownpoint, 1851. Entered by R. P. (Robert Pearsall) Smith in the Clerk’s Office of the District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. Scale is 300 feet to the inch. A photocopy of this map is on display in Archives Jane Clayton Reading Room. The map measures about 41”x58”.

There are at least two different versions of this map. The map in the Archives has twelve detailed etchings:
Residence of Rev. J. T. B. Beekman in Middletown
Residence of N. W. Troutman in Long Branch
Residence of David Williamson of Holmdel
Residence of Peter Smock of Holmdel
Thomas T. Borden’s Boarding House in Long Branch
Trinity Church in Middletownpoint
Trinity Church in Red Bank
Baptist Church in Keyport
County Building in Freehold
Union Hotel Freehold, N.S. Rue, Jr.
J. W. Morriss Boarding House, Long Branch
Institute for Boys, Freehold

The map at Library of Congress includes detailed etchings of 14 buildings:
Residence of J. T. B. Beekman in Middletown
Residence of N. W. Troutman in Long Branch
Residence of Dr. Woohull(sp), Freehold
Residence of David Williamson of Holmdel
Residence of Peter Smock of Holmdel
Young Ladies Seminary in Freehold, A. Richardson, Principal
Union Hotel Freehold, N.S. Rue, Jr.
J. W. Morriss Boarding House, Long Branch
Thomas T. Borden’s Boarding House in Long Branch
Ancient Church near Englishtown
Trinity Church in Middletownpoint
Trinity Church in Red Bank
Baptist Church in Keyport
County Building in Freehold

Black and white reprints are available in the archives for $2 each.

W
Map of Monmouth County New Jersey
S.N & F.W. Beers, 1860
By S.N. (Silas Norman) & F.W. (Frederick W.) Beers of Newton, Connecticut; published by Smith, Gallup, and Holt, of 356, 358-360 Pearl Street, New York City, in 1860; drawn and engraved, printed, colored and mounted at H. F. (Henry Francis) Walling’s Map Establishment, 356, 358-360 Pearl Street, New York City. This detailed map, which measures about 58”x58”, is on view in the Jane G. Clayton Reading Room in the Monmouth County Archives. Scale is 200 rods to the inch.

This map contains four etchings in the corners: Congress Hall Hotel in Long Branch, Old Tennent Church in Manalapan, United States Hotel in Long Branch, and County Buildings of Monmouth County.

In 2006, Eugene Osovitz, Gary D. Saretzky, and Charles (Chuck) Steiner of the Monmouth County Archives staff cleaned and repaired the map, which was left on the backing it had when donated. The map was then matted with archival materials and reframed with a wooden frame fabricated by carpenter Gary Cantagallo of the Monmouth County Buildings and Grounds staff. While the map was unframed, Chuck Steiner made digital close-up photographs of sections of the map. Copies of these photographs are available in the Archives.

Image - Phily Map
Map of the Vicinity of
Philadelphia and Trenton
Lake and Beers, 1860
From the actual surveys by D.J. (D. Jackson) Lake and S.N. Beers, published by C.K. Stone and A. Pomeroy, Philadelphia. Entered according to an Act of Congress by John E. Gillette in 1860 in the Office of the District Court for the Eastern Division of Pennsylvania. The map measures about 62”x64”. Scale 1” = 1 mile.

Inserts for towns and some with Business Directories:
Baptist Town
Basking Ridge
Bloomsbury
BoundBrook
Brookville
Cherryville
Clinton
Clinton Station
Cokesbridge
East Millstone
Ewing
Flemington
Frenchtown
Groveville
Hamilton Square
Harlingen
High Bridge
Hightstown
Kingston
Lambertville
Lawrenceville
Lebanon
Lesser Roads
Liberty Corner
Little York
Mechanicsville
Middlebush
Milford
Millstone
Mount Pleasant
New Germantown
New Hampton
North Branch
North Crosswicks
North Plainfield
Pepack
Pennington
Philadelphia
Pluckamin
Pomona Garden
Princeton
Quakertown
Readington
Raritan
Rocky Hill
Somerville
South Bound Brook
Titusville
Trenton
Whitehouse PO & Station
Windsor
Yardville

Plate 33, Eatontown, Ocean and Neptune Townships

Original, in color, 20×30, from Wolverton’s Atlas, 1889.

Plate 18, North Spring Lake and Como

Original, in color, 20×30, from Wolverton’s Atlas, 1889.

Topographical Map of Monmouth County

Reproduction from the Atlas of New Jersey, in color, 20×34; based on state geological survey and from additional surveys by FW Beers, New York; Beers Comstock & Cline, 1872, David Ramsey Historical Map Collection.

ACCESS RESTRICTIONS

This collection is open to researchers.

USE

All six wall maps are on display in the Jane Clayton Reading Room in Archives.

REPOSITORY
Monmouth County Archives
125 Symmes Drive
Manalapan, NJ 07726
Phone: 732-308-3771

ACQUISITION INFORMATION

The 1860 Beers Map of Monmouth County, framed and mounted, was donated by Dr. David H. and Lilyan Alterman to County Clerk Jane G. Clayton in 1995. The 1860 Philadelphia Map was donated by Gerald Ceres to the Archives in 2003.

PROCESSING INFORMATION

A finding aid for the Beers 1860 map was created by Gary D. Saretzky on September 22, 2006. A finding aid for all three maps was created December 2015 by George Joynson.

RELATED MATERIAL

The 1860 Philadelphia map is online at NJ State library map collection. The 1851 Lightfoot Map of Monmouth County is available online as Call Number G3813.M6 1851 .L5 at Geography and Map Division, Library of Congress, Washington, DC. Archives has digital images of the 1860 Beers Map, in Archives, PastPerfect, Digital Camera Images, Maps, “Beers Monmouth Map 1860”.