1999 J. Louise Jost (1910-1999)
Louise Jost, founder of the Shrewsbury Historical Society, was largely responsible for having the Four Corners area at Broad and Sycamore streets placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. She was also the driving force behind the construction of the Shrewsbury Historical Museum building, the Society’s headquarters. A local elementary school teacher from 1953 to 1971, Jost started the Jerseyana Club,which published Historic Shrewsbury and Shrewsbury Historic Homes, placed plaques on 47 historic homes in the borough, and developed photographic archives of historic structures. (To a large extent, the Club was the precursor to the Shrewsbury Historical Society.) Jost also helped raise funds to restore the Allen House at Four Corners. Her past accomplishments included serving as librarian and trustee of the Monmouth County Historical Association. Jost received the award at the Shrewsbury Historical Society on August 5, a few months before she died.