1997 George H. Moss, Jr. (1923-2009)
George H. Moss, Jr. was a picture historian with a special interest in the Jersey Shore, particularly from Sandy Hook to Long Branch. He amassed a vast personal collection of photographs, books, and ephemera, The Moss Archives was used in more than 60 publications by others. He also wrote more eight books and more than forty articles on local history and other topics, often using his collection for illustrations. His books, most published by his own Plough Share Press, included Nauvoo to the Hook: The Iconography of a Barrier Beach (1964); Steamboat to the Shore (1966); Double Exposure: Stereographic Views of the Jersey Shore (1859 to 1910) and their Relationship to Pioneer Photography (1971); Those Innocent Years 1898-1914: Images of the Jersey Shore from the Pach Photographic Collection (1993, with KarenL. Schnitzspahn); Double Exposure Two: Stereographic Views of the Jersey Shore (1859 to 1910) and their Relationship to Pioneer Photography (1995); Another Look at Nauvoo to the Hook (1990); Victorian Summers at the Grand Hotels of Long Branch, New Jersey (2000, with Karen L.Schnitzspahn); and Twice Told Tales: Reflections of Monmouth County’s Past (2002), the last a compilation of his Red Bank Register articles on local history. Moss was a co-founder of the Monmouth Museum, and a trustee of the Monmouth County Historical Association and the Twin Lights Historical Society. A resident of Rumson, Moss served on its Planning Board and Borough Council, including as Council President from 1990 to 2004. He also was Official Monmouth County Historian from 1999 to 2008.